- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup champagne vinegar or 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, large-diced
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil, and add the rice and 1 tsp of the salt. Return to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Transfer the rice to a bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, remaining tsp of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Pour over the rice. Add the tomatoes and basil. Mix well and check the seasonings. Serve at room temperature.