Recipe by dlspoison
Tabouli is a great side or light snack on a hot summer day. My version is for those that DON'T like bulgar or are gluten sensitive. I also have additions to make this a "one dish wonder" for a complete meal and/or more veggies to satisfy the pallet of vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. This recipe can also be made with bulgar or barley...it is the best the next day. I even took it to my church picnic and got rave reviews.
Top Review by NoThyme2Cook
We loved this at our family Memorial Day dinner. I usually use parsley in tabouli, but I LOVED it with cilantro. I made a few changes--used quinoa instead of rice, chicken broth instead of water, and left out the mint.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Minute brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cilantro (stemmed and chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1 medium cucumber (seeded and chopped)
- 3 plum tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (cut in half, sustitute for plum tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water to a boil and add the rice, cook to desired doneness or as per package directions. Add the juices and oil, stir thoroughly with a FORK! This will fluff the rice and distribute the liquids evenly to prevent sticking. Cool completely.
- As the rice is cooling, prepare the other ingredients. Add these once the rice is COMPLETELY cool.
- For best results let stand overnight.
- Optional add ins (for each 1/2 c of add in, add one serving to the total no. of servings shown): 1 cup diced FRESH mozzarella, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 1/4 cup chopped red pepper, 1/4 cup chopped yellow pepper, 1 sm can of white chicken breast.