Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From PETA's The Compassionate Cook. Simple, cheap and yummy. Can be a side or main with a pile o' veggies. I personally subbed the oil with some oil spray to cut down on fat and calories.
Top Review by jerry_sizzler
This recipe is ok, but 1 teaspoon of cinnamon was WAY too much. Maybe a quarter of a teaspoon at most. Same goes for the cumin. I doused it in teriyaki sauce so I could eat it.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups brown rice, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup split peas
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper, taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and saute the onion until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic ands rice and stir until coated with oil.
- Stir in the broth, lemon juice, split peas, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover and cook 45-50 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice and peas are tender.
- Let stand, covered 10 minutes, then serve hot.