From PETA's The Compassionate Cook. Simple, cheap and yummy. Can be a side or main with a pile o' veggies. I personally subbed the oil with some oil spray to cut down on fat and calories.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and saute the onion until golden, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the garlic ands rice and stir until coated with oil.
- 3Stir in the broth, lemon juice, split peas, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper.
- 4Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover and cook 45-50 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice and peas are tender.
- 5Let stand, covered 10 minutes, then serve hot.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice Split Pea-Laf
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.5
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: