Recipe by Sharon123
A yummy brown rice recipe from Brunei with a fragrant masala spice powder and veggies mixed in. Brunei, officially the Nation of Brunei, the Abode of Peace, is a sovereign state located on the north coast of the island of Borneo, in Southeast Asia.
Sri Lanka Sinhalese Fragrant Masala Spice Powder
- 30 g cumin seeds (1 oz.)
- 6 cardamom pods
- 4 coriander seeds
- 30 g fennel seeds (1 oz.)
- 1 clove
- 1 stick cinnamon (1 inch piece)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 onions, green
- 1 cup radish
- 1 carrot
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame tahini
- soy sauce
- lemon juice
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place masala spice ingredients in dry frying pan and toast slightly till seeds start to pop and you can smell them. Remove from pan and place in spice grinder(I use coffee grinder) and grind to powder. Set aside.
- Wash the rice three times and boil in 4 cups lightly salted water until tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Chop the cucumber finely and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, wash and prepare the vegetables. Slice the green onions finely. Chop radishes coarsely. Chop the carrot into small pieces. Heat the oil in a wok or pan and stir fry the garlic for 40 seconds. Add the prepared vegetables and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the sesame seeds after 2 minutes. Add masala spice powder and stir for a minute or so to mix well.
- When the rice is tender, drain and stir in the fried vegetables and sesame seeds. Stir in the sesame tahini.
- Sprinkle with a little soy sauce and lemon juice and serve hot with sesame tahini to taste.
- Top with chopped cucumber for garnish.