Recipe by khah
A hearty, dense yeast-free bread. Using grains in bread requires fermenting time which varies with the seasons. Dough will be sticky, knead with wet hands.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unhulled roasted sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine whole wheat flour, cornmeal, salt,& sesame seeds in a bowl& mix well Add rice and work with your hands Spread the mixture out to make a well in the center, add the warm water.
- Mix w/ a wooden spoon, adding a little more water if needed to make a moist bread dough.
- Knead for about 15 minutes, until dough comes together.
- It will be sticky.
- Have ready a well-oiled bowl.
- Place dough in bowl& turn over twice to coat w/ oil.
- Lightly oil a sheed of waxed paper and place oiled side down on top of dough.
- Cover bowl w/ camp towel.
- Keep in a cool place for 13 to 15 hours in the summer, 24 to 26 hours in winter.
- Place dough in a oiled loaf pan, making a dash down the center of the loaf with a sharp knife.
- Place pan in a cold oven.
- Turn heat to 200*F and bake for 25 minutes.
- Raise heat to 350*F and bake 1 hour.
- Loaf should be well browned and starting to pull away from sides of pan.