Recipe by Engrossed
From: "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. "Chewy, easy-to-love short-grain brown rice makes an appealing grain base for a salad containing many of the elements of a traditional salade nicoise. The tuna and its soaking oil become a major part of the dressing, coating each grain with the savor of the sea." *Time does not include time to cook rice and green beans.
Top Review by 5thCourse
Perfect!! I made it as it's written and wouldn't change a thing (except I'd like to try it with the lemon thyme which I don't have). The green beans go well with it, and I love the way the oil and tuna make up most of the dressing. Used barley. Light and filling meal, thanks!
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in olive oil, undrained
- 3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice or 3 cups cooked barley or 3 cups cooked cracked farro
- 1 small red bell peppers or 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄3 cup pitted oil-cured black olive, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed and minced
- 1 -3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon thyme, chopped (optional)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, loosely packed and shredded
- radicchio, shredded and mixed with romaine (optional)
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and steamed and cooled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the red onion and vinegar. Set aside to soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Empty the tuna and oil into a large bowl. Flake tuna with a fork.
- Add cooked brown rice, bell pepper, olives, and capers.
- Stir in the onion and any unabsorbed vinegar.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest (if using), olive oil (if using), parsley, thyme (if using), and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place a bed or lettuce and radicchio (if using) on each plate and spoon the salad on top.
- Arrange green beans and eggs alongside.