Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is tangy and vegetable-loaded salad that I put together out of the pantry and frige. I enjoyed it enough to post it so that I can remember it again later.
For the salad
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 red pickled peppers, diced
- 1⁄2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
For the dressing
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon oregano (not powdered)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cook brown rice according to package directions (if you wish, add a 1/2 a vegetable cube in place of any salt listed in the cooking instructions) and set aside to cool.
- Chop vegetables and cheese and toss with cooled, cooked rice. I use a mandoline slicer to get a variety of shapes and textures to my vegetables. Use whatever vegetables appeal to you.
- In a small jar make vinaigrette by mixing the salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, garlic and oregano together and then adding the oil.
- This will actually make more dressing than is needed for the salad, I think, but it is a solid vinaigrette that performs well on other salads.
- Dress the salad to taste and serve immediately.
- This salad can also enhanced by chicken, tuna or chopped egg.
Made this except used pasta instead of rice (boiled the pasta and zucchini together). I also used 1/2 regular mustard and 1/2 stadium as I did not have dijon. This was raved about by all at a picnic this afternoon. Very yummy!