1/3 Photos of Brown Rice Pudding With Apples and Pears (Ww Core Plus)
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Faced with the challenge of finding a dessert that met the requirements of the WW Core program, I modified a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, “The New American Plate.” This is Core plus points for the sugar used, if any. I made mine with the brown sugar Splenda but use what you have on hand. I have done this with the cinnmon sticks, with the vanilla bean and a combination. Both were good. This is not a very sweet pudding and works well rewarmed for breakfast the next day. Thought it was good enough to share.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cinnamon sticks or 1 whole vanilla bean
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons white sugar (use more if you like a sweeter rice pudding) or 3 tablespoons brown sugar (use more if you like a sweeter rice pudding) or 3 tablespoons baking Splenda sugar substitute (use more if you like a sweeter rice pudding)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla (only if using cinnamon sticks)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and diced
- 1Place powdered milk in a large heavy sauce pan, add about 1 cup of milk and whisk to form a slurry. Add remaining milk and continue to whisk. Place the milk mixture over medium high heat adding cinnamon sticks or vanilla bean, rice and salt. (If you are using the bean, use a knife to cut a lengthwise slit across the bean so that it releases the seeds into the milk.) Bring just to a boil, do not let the milk scald, and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 60-70 minutes, stirring occasionally. At the end of the hour the milk should be almost fully absorbed, about three quarters gone.
- 2Stir in the sugar, vanilla (if using cinnamon sticks), nutmeg and three quarters of the fruit continuing to cook another 15 minutes. The rice pudding mixture will continue to thicken which is good.
- 3Remove the pudding from the heat and fetch out the cinnamon sticks. Stir in the yogurt.
- 4Transfer the warm pudding to a serving bowl or individual serving dishes. Garnish with remaining diced fruit and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice Pudding With Apples and Pears (Ww Core Plus)
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.4
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 3.9 mg
- Sodium 125.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 20.8 g
- Protein 8.9 g