Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is quite an unusual pudding as I don't know any rice puddings that has the combinations of brown rice, hard pretzels and marshmellows. But it sure was good!
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup pretzel, hard style, cut into small pieces
- dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- while the brown rice is still piping hot add the evaporated milk and mini marshmallows, and stir until the marshmallows have coated the rice. Allow to stand until the milk has been absorbed into the rice and stir again.
- Add the coconut, dried cranberries and hard pretzels, mixing everything together. Add the nutmeg, cinnamon and sugar and mix again. Serve for brunch.
This was a really nice change of pace for rice pudding. The combination of marshmallows, cranberries and coconut added a sweetness that sugar alone would not have produced. I would definitely make this again though I think Iâ€™d leave out the pretzels (as I prefer a rice pudding without â€œcrunchâ€�, and maybe try brown sugar instead of regular granulated sugar, just to see if it paired better with the brown rice). But all in all, I thought this was a great contest entry.