Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light. Nov 2003.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add parsnip and celery, and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice and the next 5 ingredients (rice through broth), and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in almonds.