Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love rice pilaf and I was excited to find this recipe for brown rice pilaf since brown rice is so much better for you. It is from Healthy Cooking.
- 1 medim onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 295.73 ml long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 354.88 ml water
- 236.59 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- In large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
- Add the water, broth, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Fluff with fork.
We really enjoyed this healthier version of rice pilaf. Great flavor! The extra cooking time (for the brown rice) is worth it - the rice was fluffy and scrumptious! I followed the recipe EXACTLY and I wouldn't change a thing! Made for Photo Tag.
Really easy and really tasty. I used all chicken stock instead of water for extra flavor. Also great with mushrooms sautÃ©ed with the onion and pepper.