Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love rice pilaf and I was excited to find this recipe for brown rice pilaf since brown rice is so much better for you. It is from Healthy Cooking.
- 1 medim onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
- Add the water, broth, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Fluff with fork.
We really enjoyed this healthier version of rice pilaf. Great flavor! The extra cooking time (for the brown rice) is worth it - the rice was fluffy and scrumptious! I followed the recipe EXACTLY and I wouldn't change a thing! Made for Photo Tag.
Really easy and really tasty. I used all chicken stock instead of water for extra flavor. Also great with mushrooms sautÃ©ed with the onion and pepper.
I cut the recipe in half (because there are only two of us in the house), and it came out perfectly. The rice cooked in about 35 minutes and tasted great. Thank you for helping me make fluffy brown rice that my husband will eat without complaining!