Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
Basic pilaf. Add in your favorite ingredients to make it your own!
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Place the rice in large bowl & cover with water. Drain & repeat until the water runs clear. Run fingers through rice several times to fluff.
- Heat oil over medium heat in large, heavy saucepan. Add onions & cook 3-4 minutes until onions are transparent.
- Add rice & stock, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover & simmer 30-45 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat & allow to sit covered for 10 minutes. Add salt & pepper, & fluff with fork.