Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love this pilaf! I never liked brown rice until I tried it this way. It goes with just about anything, and the leftovers (when there are any) reheat well, too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (not instant)
- 2 1⁄2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, and season with salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 45-50 minutes. Check rice occasionally and add water if necessary.
- Uncover and let rice stand for 5 minutes before serving.
my family loved this pilaf , i served it with a spicy spanish chicken and thay licked there plates clean will add this to one my must do agains for sure
I made this, using about 3/4 cup of brown rice and 1/4 cup of wild rice and it is amazing. I made it to eat with pot roast and cabbage and was a great side dish!
Great simple recipe, I used basmati instead of long-grain rice, and upped the quantities by 50% to serve 4, and it was really tender and tasty; perfect to accompany a vegetable curry.