Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
A Dom DeLuise recipe. He says this makes a healthy, filling and delicious breakfast or lunch. . .or a great side dish at dinner time. You may use instant brown rice, but make sure you follow the instructions on the box (as it may use more or less water and will cook much more quickly).
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon margarine (may sub butter)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large granny smith apple, chopped
- Cook rice as per the directions on the package (usually bringing water to a boil, adding rice, returning to a boil, reducing to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes).
- In a nonstick pan, saute onion in margarine until transparent (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add chopped apple and brown together for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and heat through. . .tossing gently. Serve.
I can't imagine Dom (RIP Mr. DeLuise) having used margarine, can you? I substituted fresh local butter and when sauteing the onions and apples together-both of which were from our CSA box I added about 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar to help them caramelize. Used Lundberg's organic long grain brown rice and we really liked it, simple to make and accompanied our dinner quite well: Recipe #405787 and an enhanced version of this: Recipe #126693 (added other veggies). Reviewed for Veg Tag/March.
Made this to go with dinner tonight - it's obviously easy, no question there...made a nice change from plain old rice. I really like the browning of the apple with the onion, that worked very nicely. My family was on the fence with the apple, but it all depends on what it's going with and it might not have been the best match for their main. But for me, I had it with a nice curry so it was ideal. Definitely have to season a bit, I think making this with veg broth would be nice too. Thanks JB!
Another winning recipe JanuaryBride! I followed this recipe plus added a bit of salt and some toasted pine nuts before serving this evening..the sweetness of the apple, when browned is a very nice compliment to the brown rice/onion..Thank You for another keeper!