1/2 Photos of Brown Rice Jambalaya
1 hr 15 mins
Nice nuttiness from the brown rice, also lower in fat and sodium free, it says, from the local newspaper. We liked it a lot!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken piece (thighs or breasts, I used skinless or boneless)
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (spicy chorizo can be used)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 -2 sliced jalapeno pepper
- 1In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat, Add chicken, browning well on all sides; transfer chicken to plate, add sausage; cook until browned.
- 2Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add rice; stir to coat and continue cooking one minute.
- 4Add stock, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to boil stirring well.
- 5Nestle chicken pieces into rice.
- 6Cover, cook over low heat until chicken is cooked through, liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat, stir in cilantro or parsley and leave covered 10 minutes.
- 8Garnish with sliced jalapeño.
- 9(I added the jalapeño into the jambalaya with the green pepper, rather than use it as a garnish).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 697.4
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 95.8 mg
- Sodium 1331.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 34.7 g