Recipe by Iowahorse
Got this of of R.F.C. Kudos to whomever posted it first on there.
Top Review by stephena72
The only reason I didn't provide 5 stars was simply because it wasn't spicy enough for my husband. I LOVED this recipe and I hate Jambalaya. Great texture, though next time I would just dice up peppers and onion rather than putting it in food processor. Goes great with cornbread and leftovers were just as great!
- 1⁄2 lb diced ham or 1⁄2 lb bacon (cut bacon crosswise into thin -strips)
- 4 chicken legs (2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 lb Cajun-style sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled,cubed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored,cut in 1 inch squares
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,cored,quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon file powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb peeled deveined raw shrimp
Directions See How It's Made
- Put ham or bacon in a 4-quart soup kettle and cook over low heat until fat is rendered.
- Increase heat to medium and stir until cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken skin, cut meat off the bones and then cut boneless chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Add to kettle or skillet with bacon or ham and toss until color turns pale, about 4 minutes.
- Remove bacon or ham and chicken with a slotted spoon and put on paper toweling; set aside.
- Add sausage to kettle and brown all over, about 6 to 8 minutes; remove.
- Leave 2 tablespoons fat in kettle; pour off and discard remaining fat.
- Insert metal blade in food processor.
- Mince garlic by adding to machine with motor on.
- Add onion and chop very coarsely with half second pulses.
- Add green pepper and process with half-second pulses until mixture is chopped to medium consistency.
- Add mixture to kettle and stir over low heat until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Process tomatoes until pureed; set aside.
- Add rice to ingredients in kettle and stir over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Then stir in oregano Thyme, file, black pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin.
- Add tomatoes and broth.
- Stir well and let mixture to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook rice mixture 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut sausage into 1/4-inch thick coin like slices.
- Mix sausage, ham and chicken pieces into rice.
- Cover and cook until rice is tender (rice may not absorb all the liquid) about 20 minutes longer.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt as needed.
- Stir shrimp into hot rice mixture, cover pot and let stand for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve rice with shrimp, meats and liquid.
- Serves 8.