1/2 Photos of Brown Rice Gratin
1 hr 15 mins
Proud Veteran's wife's Note:
I got this recipe from Practical Cooking Vegetarian I'm not a vegitarian anymore, but this is a good side dish, and it's pretty healthy too. It's very versatile and can be made with any vegetables that you have on hand. I use it as a side dish. It can be used as a main dish if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 (3/4 ounce) baby corn, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Cook the rice in a saucepan of boiling, lightly salted water for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- 3Lightly grease a square baking dish with 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine.
- 4Heat the remaining 2 T butter or margarine in a skillet. Add the onion and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- 5Add the garlic, carrot, zucchini, and corn, cook stirring constantly for additional 5 minutes.
- 6Mix the rice with sunflower seeds and mixed herbs and stir into the pan.
- 7Stir in half of the mozzarella cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and top with the bread crumbs and remaining cheese.
- 9Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese has begun to turn golden, serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.9
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 45.0 mg
- Sodium 268.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed fresh herbs
whole wheat breadcrumbs