Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from Practical Cooking Vegetarian I'm not a vegitarian anymore, but this is a good side dish, and it's pretty healthy too. It's very versatile and can be made with any vegetables that you have on hand. I use it as a side dish. It can be used as a main dish if you prefer.
- 1⁄3 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 (3/4 ounce) baby corn, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook the rice in a saucepan of boiling, lightly salted water for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Lightly grease a square baking dish with 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine.
- Heat the remaining 2 T butter or margarine in a skillet. Add the onion and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, carrot, zucchini, and corn, cook stirring constantly for additional 5 minutes.
- Mix the rice with sunflower seeds and mixed herbs and stir into the pan.
- Stir in half of the mozzarella cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and top with the bread crumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese has begun to turn golden, serve immediately.
I loved this...I am only giving it 4 stars because not everyone loved it. I will be making this again though :)
Not a fan of this recipe, I would avoid using the topping as written. Omit the breadcrumbs all together and put all the cheese in the rice. Maybe a different cheese also. We found the recipe bland. Sorry!
I used 2% mozzarella and panko instead of bread crumbs. Also substituted sesame seeds for sunflower. Turned out great and still felt like a light healthy side dish.