1/2 Photos of Brown Rice & Goat Cheese Cakes
From Eating Well Magazine - I love goat cheese and pecans, so I had to try this! They have a nice flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup medium-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 medium shallots, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded using the large holes of a box grater
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Bring rice and water to boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer undil water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 - 50 minute Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until soft, stirring often. Add carrots, reduce heat to low, and cook stirring often until carrots have softened and shallots are lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- 3Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 4Transfer the cooked vegetables and rice to a large food processor. Add remaining ingredients. Pulse until well blended but still a little coarse. Scrape into a bowl, and with wet hands form the mixture into six 3 inch patties (about 1/2 cup each).
- 5Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook until well browned, 3 to 4 min per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until an instant read thermometer inserted into the middle registers at least 160 degrees, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 6My family likes them best topped with a bit of fruit sauce made from jam (raspberry, apricot, cherry) thinned with a bit of balsamic vinegar and maybe a hint of dijon mustard depending on your tastes. Sounds a bit odd but it is good. But they are also good on their own.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice & Goat Cheese Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.6
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.2 mg
- Sodium 294.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 6.8 g