Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is a simple side-dish devised by a former girl friend about 20 years ago.
Top Review by MA Blossom
I used half butter, half olive oil, chicken stock and about three times as much spinach as called for. With a little extra time to cook the rice, it turned out well and was a good side dish along some spicy chicken breasts. Thank you Toby Jermain for posting.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in saucepan over medium-high heat until just beginning to sizzle.
- Add onion, and saute until softened.
- Add rice and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until rice is lightly browned in places and beginning to get translucent.
- Remove from heat, and gradually stir in chicken stock or water.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, return to heat, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add spinach, stir thoroughly and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Serve hot.