Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
From Good Eats and Alton Brown
- 3 ounces puffed brown rice, approximately 6 cups
- 3 tablespoons flax seed oil, plus extra for the pan
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- 7 ounces mini marshmallows, approximately 4 cups
- 3 ounces toasted slivered almonds, approximately 3/4 cup
- 1 1⁄2 ounces coarsely chopped dried cranberries, approximately 1/3 cup
- 1 1⁄2 ounces coarsely chopped dried cherries, approximately 1/3 cup
- 1 ounce dried blueberries, approximately 1/3 cup
- Lightly coat the inside of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch metal pan with oil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread the brown puffed rice evenly on a sheet pan.
- Toast in the oven for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the rice is toasting, prepare the marshmallow mixture.
- Place the oil, honey, and marshmallows in a large mixing bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water.
- Stir until the marshmallows are melted, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, quickly add the toasted brown rice, almonds, and fruit and stir to combine.
- Coat your hands or a spatula with oil and spread the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Once the mixture has cooled completely, cut into squares and store in an airtight container for 1 to 2 days.
better food and much cheaper then buying snack bars.
This is a great idea, but I found that the bars tasted somewhat stale after making them - due to the puffed brown rice, I believe. I think these would be excellant if made with brown crisp rice cereal instead of the puffed brown rice. I thought that the toasting would crisp the puffed brown rice up, making them more the texture of Rice Krispies and I even toasted them a little longer than called for, but it didn't. I did love the dried fruit and almonds, and I put the marshmallows, honey and oil (I used canola) in the microwave as I would do when making Rice Krispy Treats. I will make these again, only using the brown crisp rice cereal instead so that they will have the chewy, yet crispy texture that Rice Krispy Treats have. Made and Reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap March 2008.