This recipe is really versatile. It's easy to leave out the chicken or change up the vegetables. I usually leave out the chicken and serve it with salsa chicken or something similar. For the diced green chili peppers, use fire roasted if you can find them.
- 1⁄3 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cooked boneless chicken breasts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, drained
- 1⁄3 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups taco cheese or 2 cups mexican cheese, shredded
- Cook rice using the water or broth according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350º and grease a casserole dish.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onion until tender and translucent.
- Mix in the zucchini, chicken (if using), and mushrooms. Season with the cumin, salt and cayenne.
- Saute until chicken in heated through and zucchini is browned.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cooked rice, mixture in skillet, beans, chilis, carrots, and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Transfer to casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and continue baking for 10 more minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly around the edges.