1/1 Photo of Brown Rice Casserole
This recipe is really versatile. It's easy to leave out the chicken or change up the vegetables. I usually leave out the chicken and serve it with salsa chicken or something similar. For the diced green chili peppers, use fire roasted if you can find them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cooked boneless chicken breasts, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers, drained
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups taco cheese or 2 cups mexican cheese, shredded
- 1Cook rice using the water or broth according to package directions.
- 2Preheat oven to 350º and grease a casserole dish.
- 3Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onion until tender and translucent.
- 4Mix in the zucchini, chicken (if using), and mushrooms. Season with the cumin, salt and cayenne.
- 5Saute until chicken in heated through and zucchini is browned.
- 6In a large mixing bowl, mix the cooked rice, mixture in skillet, beans, chilis, carrots, and 1/2 of the cheese.
- 7Transfer to casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- 8Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- 9Uncover, and continue baking for 10 more minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly around the edges.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.6
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: