1/1 Photo of Brown Rice Bread: Gluten Free
This bread is a staple in our house, it is not a sandwhich bread, but more of a bead you toast, fry, and cook with., Makes a great stuffing, pizza crust, and it makes a good hamburger bun as well. Recipe adapted from Barbara Emchs, a fellow celiac.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring all refrigerated ingredients to room temperature. Grease a 5 x 9-inch loaf pan.
- 2In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine eggs, oil, and lemon juice. In a large measuring cup, combine water, 1 tablespoon sugar, and yeast; let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. In a medium bowl, combine tapioca starch flour, brown rice flour, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, salt, flax seed, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Add yeast mixture to the egg mixture, then slowly add dry ingredients a little at a time until completely incorporated. Mix batter on high speed for 31/2 minutes, then pour into prepared pan.
- 3Cover bread with foil and place in a cold oven. Set a pan of hot water on a lower shelf underneath the bread. Leave for 10 minutes with oven door closed. (This will cause the tread to rise quickly.) Remove bread from oven (do not uncover) and place in a warm place in the kitchen.
- 4Preheat I oven to 400°F Bread will continue to rise as oven preheats.
- 5Uncover bread and bake for 10 minutes to brown the top. Cover bread with foil and continue to bake bread for 30 minutes. Turn bread out onto a cooling rack. When completely cooled, wrap tightly to maintain freshness for as long as possible.
- 6TIPS: If humidity is high, reduce the amount of water in the recipe to avoid over rising. Many gluten-free bakers experience the frustrating situation in which a beautiful loaf of bread deflates once removed from the oven. You will need to experiment a little to get just the right amount of water in your bread depending on the humidity in the air. If in question, use less water than the recipe calls for.
- 7You may use rapid rise yeast instead of regular yeast. If doing so, eliminate the cold oven rise method with a pan of hot water, follow yeast package directions instead for rise time.
- 8Hamburger Buns.
- 9Pour batter into English muffin rings, follow directions above. Bake for just 15 minutes. Once completely cooled these buns freeze well. Always serve buns warmed, otherwise they will be crumbly.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice Bread: Gluten Free
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.9
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.8 mg
- Sodium 250.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: