Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 17 mins
An excellent and interesting side dish that is nice with roast chicken or turkey.
- 2 1⁄2 cups long grain brown rice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups shredded gruyere or 2 cups swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup turkey broth or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (optional)
- Bring a big pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add in the brown rice; lower the heat to medium.
- Boil, uncovered, for about 35 minutes or until the rice is barely tender.
- Drain rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water.
- Transfer rice to a large mixing bowl.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, let the butter melt.
- Add in the onion, zucchini, carrots, celery, red pepper, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Cover and cook about 10-12 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent and veggies are barely tender; stir often.
- Transfer the veggies into the mixing bowl with the rice; stir to mix.
- Add in the cheese and basil; stir to mix.
- Add in salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly buttered casserole dish.
- Drizzle with broth; cover and bake in a 350° over for about 30 minutes.
I was convinced this was the recipe of a confirmed bachelor. I stand corrected. I renamed it "Brown Rice with everything but the kitchen sink", no harm meant at all. This recipe is a big hit with my husband. I love basil so I put more basil in than is called for. I also added a can of drained black beans for more fiber and color contrast.