1/3 Photos of Brown Rice (Baked)
1 hr 10 mins
Brown rice is SO much better for you than white rice. It has more nutrients and about 3 times more fiber than white rice does. I never really cared for brown rice UNTIL I tasted this one. You can do as many variations as you like with it. Add your favorite herbs, spices or veggies to it. Make it vegetarian by using veggie cubes instead of chicken. The rice turns out perfectly fluffy and delicious. The aroma that fills your house while it's baking is wonderful and it's hard to wait until it's done to sneak a taste. As it bakes the bay leaves will rise to the top so they can be easily 'fished' out of the casserole before serving. I like to top the finished rice with freshly chopped cilantro and a twist of black pepper. For a nice crunch you can add chopped water chestnuts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or butter)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optional) or fresh parsley (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Heat heavy skillet (I use cast iron) until hot. Add oil and then add uncooked brown rice.
- 3Stir rice in oil until golden brown, stirring constantly. (some grains will be golden while other grains will look darker).
- 4In the meantime heat water and add bay leaves, bouillon cubes, poultry seasoning, black pepper, minced onion flakes, parsley, oregano, basil and pepper flakes.
- 5Bring to a boil.
- 6When rice is golden and ready, pour rice into a covered 2 quart casserole dish.
- 7Add the boiling liquid on top of the rice. CAREFUL! IT WILL SPUTTER.
- 8Cover casserole with aluminum foil AND the cover for the casserole dish (to make sure steam does not escape from the rice).
- 9Bake for 1 hour.
- 10Remove from oven and let sit covered (DON'T PEEK!) for 15 minutes.
- 11Fluff with fork before serving.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice (Baked)
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 323.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g