Prep 10 mins
Cook 27 mins
This is a nice side dish and the flavor of the brown rice and walnuts workwell together.
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cook the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dry-roast the walnuts for 4 minutes, or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the walnuts to a sheet of aluminum foil or a plate to prevent overcooking.
- When the rice is tender, stir in the walnuts and the remaining ingredients.
Basically made this, adding diced onion and raisins from no. 102845. Will do this again.
Was not to our taste, it was rather bland. I did use brown basmati rice for this. The walnuts and brown rice do go together but I won't make this one again.
This was a fabulous, unique recipe. My husband and I loved the walnuts with the rice. My husband didn't even mind the peas as the flavour of the walnuts overshadowed them. We served this dish with fish and the combo was great.