Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is good with almost anything... Robb
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon summer savory
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh snow pea, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemons, rind of, Grated
- 3⁄4 cup coconut, Grated, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat chicken broth to boiling.
- Combine broth with brown rice, butter, oregano, marjoram, and summery savory in 3 quart casserole and bake, covered, for 1-1/2 hours or until rice is tender.
- Keep hot. Melt butter in large skillet or dutch oven.
- Add celery, snow peas, broccoli, green onion, and ginger and stir fry until crisp-tender.
- Add vegetables, lemon rind, and toasted coconut to rice. Toss lightly to combine. Adjust seasonings.
Great - v useful for the brown rice/stock ratio for over baking. Thanks
You can tell by the recipe number that this has been on Zaar for a long time; I surprised that it hasn't been treid & reviewed by more chefs! Its a very easy & versatile recipe that gives great flavour to plain old boring brown rice. Due to lack of ingredients, I made the following substitutions: dried thyme for savory, powdered ginger for fresh, purple onion for green & lemon pepper for zest. I added dethawed frozen pea pods & broccoli florets once the celery & onions were tender. I'll repeat this recipe with different veggie combinations in the future. Thanx Robb!