Recipe by AuntieChef
An easy, healthy, tasty casserole.
Top Review by Debbwl
A nice healthy casserole that I made even healthier by using fat free cheese and eggbeaters. Those were the only two changes I made. We both thought this turned out very nice. Next time will pepper cut the pepper to 3/4 of a teaspoon instead of a full teaspoon. Made in the morning and then DH just had to re-warm in the microwave for his lunch and it worked out fine. Thanks so much for the post.
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw the spinach (microwave "defrost" setting, or in a sieve under cool running water), squeeze out the extra water, set aside in the sieve to finish draining.
- Beat the eggs, shred the cheese, combine, set aside.
- Mince the onions, slice the mushrooms, or use already-sliced criminis (life is too short to slice mushrooms! IMO).
- In a medium saute pan, on med-high heat, heat half of the chicken broth, add the onions and bring to a simmer. Allow the broth to nearly cook away, while the onions become brown. Watch it - don't let it burn. As the broth simmers away, add the remaining broth and the mushrooms. Lower the heat as needed to maintain a low simmer. Give the onion/mushroom/broth mixture a stir, and when just a bit of broth is left, remove the saute pan from the heat.
- Combine all ingredients in a baking pan and put in the oven, at 325 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.
- VERY IMPORTANT: be sure to use already-cooked rice.
- (About cooking the rice ahead - I make a large-ish batch of it, and freeze it in smaller containers; it reheats pretty well in the microwave or skillet.).