Prep 12 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes of any kind. It's tasty, healthy, easy, quick, and I'm happy eating it for days on end. It's based on a Goya recipe that I adapted to use brown rice for better nutritional value. If you want to eat more whole grains but just can't find appetizing ways to prepare them, give this a try. It can also be made with long-grain white rice if you prefer (not jasmine rice or anything like that, just the ordinary kind). The canned pigeon peas and sazon can both be found in the latino/hispanic/international section of most US supermarkets.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the bacon and onion and cook three minutes. Add the garlic and cook two minutes longer.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except rice. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until rice is tender (about 40-45 minutes if you're using brown rice, 25-30 minutes if you use white rice.
I used the Goya Gandules recipe last night and here are my recommended tweeks:
1) Use Brown Basmati rice from the Indian stores because after a 45 min soak it only requires 20-25mins cooking time same as the original white rice recipe. Plus brown rice haters will not know the difference once turmeric or saffron is added
2) I don't use Sazon b/c of the MSG and even the ones that don't have MSG have DSG. Soooo I suggest use:
-Turmeric for yellow color or saffron if you have it
-Add your own coriander powder(which I forgot oops)
3) Use Goya's tomato sauce Spanish Style which also has some spices in it.
4) I like turkey bacon but you can also use smoked/dried turkey neckbones or similar types of smoked/dried turkey meat. It's sooo yummy with any Caribbean rice and peas recipe Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Trini, Guyanese whatever (I forgot this too lol).
Tonight I will be adding some camarones(Shrimp) with the coriander to the leftover rice. Hope it taste good
This was a truly delicious recipe! I prepared it as written, but we do not eat pork so I took out the bacon. It was used as a side dish to our Sofrito Chicken. Very happy with the way it turned out! Thanks!
Wonderful!!!! I used more bacon and substituted sofrito for the tomato sauce because thats what I had on hand. Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch!