This is one of my favorite recipes of any kind. It's tasty, healthy, easy, quick, and I'm happy eating it for days on end. It's based on a Goya recipe that I adapted to use brown rice for better nutritional value. If you want to eat more whole grains but just can't find appetizing ways to prepare them, give this a try. It can also be made with long-grain white rice if you prefer (not jasmine rice or anything like that, just the ordinary kind). The canned pigeon peas and sazon can both be found in the latino/hispanic/international section of most US supermarkets.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the bacon and onion and cook three minutes. Add the garlic and cook two minutes longer.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except rice. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until rice is tender (about 40-45 minutes if you're using brown rice, 25-30 minutes if you use white rice.
I used the Goya Gandules recipe last night and here are my recommended tweeks:
1) Use Brown Basmati rice from the Indian stores because after a 45 min soak it only requires 20-25mins cooking time same as the original white rice recipe. Plus brown rice haters will not know the difference once turmeric or saffron is added
2) I don't use Sazon b/c of the MSG and even the ones that don't have MSG have DSG. Soooo I suggest use:
-Turmeric for yellow color or saffron if you have it
-Add your own coriander powder(which I forgot oops)
3) Use Goya's tomato sauce Spanish Style which also has some spices in it.
4) I like turkey bacon but you can also use smoked/dried turkey neckbones or similar types of smoked/dried turkey meat. It's sooo yummy with any Caribbean rice and peas recipe Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Trini, Guyanese whatever (I forgot this too lol).
Tonight I will be adding some camarones(Shrimp) with the coriander to the leftover rice. Hope it taste good
This was a truly delicious recipe! I prepared it as written, but we do not eat pork so I took out the bacon. It was used as a side dish to our Sofrito Chicken. Very happy with the way it turned out! Thanks!
Wonderful!!!! I used more bacon and substituted sofrito for the tomato sauce because thats what I had on hand. Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch!