Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A hearty soup the kids will eat and which works fine when made vegetarian as well.
Make and share this Brown Rice and Lentil Soup With Pomegranate Juice recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- Rinse lentils several times. Set aside to drain.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion and toss to coat, then saute until soft. Add garlic and saute two more minutes.
- Add broth, lentils, rice, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on low for an hour or more, until the lentils and rice are tender.
- Add finely chopped basil, chopped green onions and pomegranate juice. Simmer 15 more minutes.
- NOTE: margarine can substitute for butter and broth can be changed to vegetarian soup powder mixed with water for vegetarians.