Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this in a health food cookbook 30 years ago. Everyone loves it. Don't leave out the tamari sauce. It is a key ingredient. I like it because it's a good meatless meal. The cheese and nuts provide the protein. It's really good served with applesauce and a side veggie such as broccoli
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 -5 medium carrots (shredded)
- 4 tablespoons tamari soy sauce (I use reduced sodium)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Put the rice in a large mixing bowl.
- In a food processor chop the walnuts and add to the cooked rice.
- Then using the same food processor shred the carrots and the cheese, and add to rice mixture.
- Add the tamari, eggs and pepper. Blend it all together.
- Spoon into baking dish.
- Spread breadcrumbs on the top.
- Pour the milk or water over the breadcrumbs, and place in the oven for 50 minutes. Enjoy!
Oh boy, I loved this! Great meatless meal with lots of flavor. Used homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs and reduced-sodium soy sauce, no other changes. Loved that the top got nice and crunchy. Thanks for sharing the recipe!