Recipe by Tebo
Use this as a side dish to a meal. It is a bit different than ordinary vegetables. This can also be a vegetarian meal.
Top Review by jan...
I'm always interested in recipes using brown rice and on the day I needed to make something other than just the rice instead of the usual potatoes, I looked this up. I am so glad to have found this!By way of this recipe and not having all the ingredients on hand, the result was a keeper. I only had chicken broth, no vegetable stock. The can of broth amounted to 2 cups so I needed another half cup of liquid. To try and keep in tune with the recipe, I added a half cup of water with a couple of teaspoons of Knorr Vegetable Soup mix in it. Also had no parsley or bean sprouts but added frozen petite peas instead. Followed cooking directions up to # 6 because I put the peas in at the same time as the stock. The rice absorbed all the flavors, and the vegetables were tender and tasty as well. Thanks, Tebo for a wonderful base recipe!
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a 2 quart pan at med-high heat.
- Add onion and carrot and cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook until rice browns slightly.
- Add stock and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and sprouts just before serving.