Adapted from a recipe cut from a Sunday newspaper at some stage last year
Make and share this Brown Rice and Caramelized Onion Salad recipe from Food.com.
- Heat olive oil in fry pan.
- Cook onions slowly on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar and cook 10 more minutes.
- Combine rice,onions,lots of salt and pepper,chopped herbs and pine nuts.
- Serve at room temperature.
An outstanding rice salad!!! And healthy too. I didn't use the full quantity of pine nuts. They are such and astronomical price here, so I probably used around 75gms. I also didn't add heaps of salt and pepper as I cooked the rice in salted water and when the flavour of the caramelized onion blended through I didn't think it needed any extra seasoning. Made and enjoyed by DH, DS, his girlfriend and myself.
Very good. Tastes a little like Pad Thai to me. I love it using Quinoa instead of rice, and often serve with grilled chicken.
Very unique and tasty - the balsamic vinegar was quite noticable, I may choose to lessen the amount next go-round :)