Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
I don't remember where I found this, but it's a staple around our house now. It's chewy, kind of nutty, and very filling. It's also very easy (as long as I think about it at least an hour before I need it!) It's an easy side dish as is, upgrades easily to a pilaf (see directions below), works well under meats and sauces, leftovers go great in soup, and it is even good with a little sugar, cinnamon, and cream over it for breakfast or dessert! So many possibilities with so few ingredients. ;o)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups water
- Combine in med saucepan, bring to boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Cover, reduce heat to low; steam approx 40 min.
- Turn off heat, let stand 5-10 min, covered.
- Fluff with a fork; serve hot or cool and store.
- For pilaf, heat oil/butter in a separate pan; saute onions/garlic and chopped or shredded veggies, then stir into grains and heat through, seasoning to taste.
Very nice mixture of rice and bulgar - I really enjoyed this! Thanks!
This was a nice change to plain brown rice. I added some spices along with the bulgar to increase the flavor.
I liked this recipe a lot. I used it as a pilaf, and it had a great hearty taste.