Lots of casserole recipes out there, not many are compatible with my diet. So here's my first attempt to come up with my own. Suggestions welcome! I'll probably try browning chicken with the onion next.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (I recommend Lundberg Jubilee Gourmet Blend of Whole Grain Rice made with chicken broth)
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth (mine is homemade with tomato in it)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Lightly saute onions in olive oil over medium heat. Not trying to brown them, just don't want them raw going into the oven.
- 2Add rice, broccoli and cooked onions to a small casserole dish and mix.
- 3Pour vegetable broth into the saute pan used for onions and add salt. Stir while heating over medium heat. When bubbles appear, pour over casserole mix and stir.
- 4Cover the dish with foil or a lid and bake at 375 degrees in center of the oven for 30 mins (or until broccoli is tender and mix is bubbling).
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice and Broccoli Base Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.2
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 302.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth