Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made two stuffings for Christmas this year, our traditional bread and butter stuffing, high carbs, high fat, and delicious, and I stuffed the neck of our massive turkey with this lovely brown rice and apple stuffing. Lower calories, lower fat and very nice.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups natural apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 crisp harvest apple, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Brussels sprout, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, pass through a garlic press
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran or 1⁄3 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
- Make rice according to package instructions. Use the combination of 2 cups natural apple juice and 11/2 cups water for the cooking liquid.
- Place olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook all chopped fruits and vegetables until they are crisp, not soggy. Add cooked brown rice, bran, cranberries, almonds, poultry seasoning, pepper and thyme. Toss well.
- Use as stuffing for poultry.