- chicken neck, gizzard,heart,and misc scraps
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 sliced carrot
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1⁄3 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
And for brown stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown Stock: Chop the chicken parts into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Brown them over med-hi heat in oil.
- Drain the oil.
- Add broth, herbs, and enough water to cover by 1/2 inch.
- Simmer partially covered for 1 1/2 hours or more, skimming scum off as needed.
- Strain, let stand for a bit, and spoon off excess grease that accumulates on the top of the stock.
- Now it is ready for use!
- White Stock: Do everything as instructed above, except do not brown the bits in oil.