Recipe by BothFex
I don't remember where I got this recipe, but the family loves it. We often have it in place of biscuts or corn bread. Great in the fall with a nice bowl of soup.
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup oats, plus additional for top of loaves and baking stone
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups sour milk (pour 2 T. of vinegar into a 2 c. measuring cup fill the rest of the cup with milk- let stand 5 minut)
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- If using sour milk, prepare and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix 2 1/4 cup of the flour with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Form a well in the center.
- In another bowl (or large measuring cup) whisk together the egg and milk.
- Pour milk mixture into the dry ingredients and fold until JUST combined.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead the other 1/4 cup of flour into the bread being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Cut dough in half.
- Form into 2 round loaves.
- Cut a cross into the top of each loaf.
- Dust with flour and sprinkle with additional oats.
- Sprinkle baking sheets (I prefer to use baking stones) with oats to prevent sticking and bake loaves at 350 for 30-35 minutes.