Recipe by MizzNezz
Very good bread! This makes 2 loaves.
Top Review by Guy T
This is world class! I used hickory nuts instead of walnuts and recommend the substitution (if you can find them). I also packed then soaked the raisins in 3-4 T brandy and 1 tsp orange extract overnight and threw the whole lot into the mix. I'll bet Grand Marnier would be even better. I used Brer Rabbit full flavored molassas in the green bottle because I'm partial to the taste but the lighter flavored might be better. Under no circumstances should blackstrap be used. I found that the bread cooked faster than advertised, 48 minutes, but my oven might be hot.
- 591.47 ml whole wheat flour
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 473.18 ml sour milk (2 T vinegar, add milk to measure 2 cups)
- 78.07 ml molasses
- 118.29 ml honey
- 9.85 ml shredded orange rind
- 236.59 ml chopped walnuts
- 177.44 ml raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together the flours, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix eggs, sour milk, molasses, honey, and orange peel.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir until well mixed.
- Fold in nuts and raisins.
- Place into 2 greased 8in loaf pans.
- Bake at 350* for about 55 minutes, until pick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, remove and cool completely.