Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
delicious side dish, healthy & nutritious.
Make and share this Brown Lentils - Trinidad Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 pigs tail or 250 g chunked diced ham, if pigs tail not available
- 400 g pumpkin (I use butternut)
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 2 garlic, pegs crushed
- 500 ml vegetable stock or 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 -2 slice bacon, stock cubes
- 1 cup water
- 400 g brown lentils (OR x2 400ml can brown lentils for the quick version, drained)
- Put lentils in bowl & cover with water.
- Leave to soak overnight.
- Rinse & drain lentils.
- Put all ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Put on high heat & bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are cooked and pumpkin is soft & broken down.
- Add water if needed--mixture should not dry out.
- Serve as a side dish or eat just as they are.