jenny butt's Note:
delicious side dish, healthy & nutritious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pigs tail or 250 g chunked diced ham, if pigs tail not available
- 400 g pumpkin (I use butternut)
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 2 garlic, pegs crushed
- 500 ml vegetable stock or 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 -2 slice bacon, stock cubes
- 1 cup water
- 400 g brown lentils (OR x2 400ml can brown lentils for the quick version, drained)
- 1Put lentils in bowl & cover with water.
- 2Leave to soak overnight.
- 3Rinse & drain lentils.
- 4Put all ingredients into a large saucepan.
- 5Put on high heat & bring to the boil.
- 6Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are cooked and pumpkin is soft & broken down.
- 7Add water if needed--mixture should not dry out.
- 8Serve as a side dish or eat just as they are.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Lentils - Trinidad Style
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.2
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 41.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 19.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: