Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Make and share this Brown Irish Soda Bread recipe from Food.com.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 t. salt.
- Cut in butter.
- Combine 1 egg and buttermilk and add to flour mixture; stir till just moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently for 12 strokes.
- On a greased baking sheet, shape dough into a 6-in. round loaf.
- Cut a 4-in. cross, 1/4-in. deep, on the top.
- Brush with one beaten egg.
- Bake for 35 minute in a 375 degree oven.
- Cool on rack.
This is a nicely textured, simple bread that goes well with soup.
I canâ€™t believe how easy this was to make - I was all out of whole wheat flour, so had to use all white. I did add 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds. I was expecting it to make a bit bigger loaf - but turned out to be plenty for a corned beef and cabbage dinner for 3 and have some left over for toasting at breakfast this morning - canâ€™t wait to make it using the wheat flour. Thank you mrose75 for a quick and easy good tasting bread.