Recipe by susnrob
Found this recipe on a fitness website a few weeks ago and it was great with vegan "meat" loaf and mashed potatoes. I added portabella mushrooms to it as well. I'm planning on using this recipe for thanksgiving this year.
Top Review by Sharon123
Yum! I served this over jasmine rice and loved it! I wasn't sure it needed both flour and cornstarch, but it turned out great. I only had garlic powder, so added a little salt. Thanks! Made for Pick A Chef(PAC) event in the contests/events forum. Keep those recipes coming! :)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 diced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I used Braggs liquid aminos)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the margarine in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion for a couple of minutes, or until transparent.
- Add the flour and garlic salt and sauté this mixture for about five to ten more minutes.
- Add in the vegetable broth and cornstarch, making sure to stir well to prevent lumps.
- Bring this to a boil and once you have done this you want to reduce to a simmer and continue cooking, stirring frequently.
- Add in the nutritional yeast and soy sauce and reduce the heat even further, cooking for just a few more minutes.