Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I like this recipe because I can control the amount of sodium in it. The packaged mixes on the market contain enormous amounts of salt. I use low sodium beef bouillon. This makes a single recipe, but you can use the calculator to make a larger recipe and have it stored in your cupboard ready to use. This is nice made in the pan after you've browned meat.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon browning sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon instant coffee, for color
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker jar, and mix well.
- Pour into a shallow pan.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
I used instant coffee, and you can't even taste I in there. I made a double batch, using slightly less water, dumped everything in pan and whisked together. Le it cook for a couple minutes, and added 2 lbs. sliced mushroom caps to make mushroom gravy, it was so good. I substituted chopped garlic, and minced onion because I was out of the powdered varieties, but it was still delicious. I won't ever buy packets again!