1/3 Photos of Brown Fried Rice - Five Treasure
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
heather in Ont,'s Note:
The sky is the limit when it comes to preparing fried rice. With this recipe we use brown rice and a little canola oil to make it healthier and 5 different types of vegetables. It's important the brown rice is well chilled so the starch hardens and makes it fry-able. If you use fresh rice you will have a gummy mess. Using ginger, scallions and garlic helps boost the flavour or you could even add some sesame oil or chile peppers. You could substitute the canola for sesame oil to add more flavour. Change any of the vegetables to asparagus; zucchini, peas, mushrooms, bok choy, bean spouts, jicama and even fruit such as mandarin oranges or pineapple.. To make it more of a meal I would add protein like chicken, shrimp, ham or even tofu...but then it wouldn't be Five Treasure now. Cooking time includes cooking the rice and chilling it. To speed the process up at dinner time, prepare the rice and chopped veggies the day before. This recipe came from Fine Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup broccoli stem (peeled, finely diced approx 1 1/4 lb. broccoli)
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup edamame (shelled and frozen)
- 3/4 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (both white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
- 3/4 cup diced Canadian bacon (4 oz)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1Heat all but 1 tsp of the oil in a large non-stick skillet or stir-fry pan over medium heat.
- 2Add the broccoli stems, carrots and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- 3Add the edamame and corn and cook until the edamame is thawed, about 1 minute.
- 4Add the scallion, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring, until the raw garlic aroma subsides, about 1 minute.
- 5Add the cold rice and bacon and cook, stirring until heated through 3- 5 minutes.
- 6Make a 3 inch well in the center of the rice mixture.
- 7Add the remaining 1 tsp of oil, then the eggs, and cook, stirring until the eggs are almost fully scrambled.
- 8Stir the eggs into the rice mixture.
- 9Stir in the soy sauce and serve.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Fried Rice - Five Treasure
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.6
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 605.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 18.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: