This is an even better recipe I found for this popular Jamaican fish stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fish (any type filleted or not)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/4 ounce mushroom soy sauce
- 1/4 ounce grace browning sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 10 ounces water
- 1/4 ounce gingerroot
- 1Wash the fish in a lime juice/water solution. Dry the fish with a paper hand towel or cloth to remove all the juice and water; this will stop any potential hot splashes from the hot oil in the skillet, when the fish in placed into the hot oil later on.
- 2Rub a pinch of salt and pepper on each piece of fish. Heat the oil in the skillet on high for 2 minutes or so, then turn the heat to medium. Carefully place fish into the oil in the skillet.
- 3Pan-fry fish until golden brown. During the frying process, do not move the fish around in the skillet because this will cause the pieces of fish to break into small pieces.
- 4Its Jamaican Brown Stew Fish you're making, not fish salad.
- 5Remove fish from skillet.
- 6Discard the oil and replace with fresh oil. Sauté the onions, garlic and green bell peppers together. Cover the pot for 1 minute, while the vegetables sizzle.
- 7Next add water to the vegetables and allow the vegetables to cook for another five minutes.
- 8Now add the ginger root, mushroom soy sauce, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme and browning.
- 9Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes, add salt to taste and then add fish to stew and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 10Serve with dumplings, or rice & peas, or white rice, or pasta, yam & banana, or bread.
- 11Option 1: You can use a little white wine in the stew too- just before you add the browning and soy sauce to the pot.
- 12Option 2: You can add bread crumbs to the stew for extra thickness.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Fish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 31.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1749.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mushroom soy sauce