A Jamaican favorite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs red snapper (or dolphin, king, etc, cut into 1 inch slices)
- 2 medium onions or 2 medium onions, cut into thick and thin slices
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 hot pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- fat (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- water or fish stock or vegetable broth or light beer or availible stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1Prepare the fish, scaling and gutting and cutting into 1 inch slices. Fry it lightly. and set aside .
- 2Make a brown sauce by frying onion in butter and adding flour slowly until brown.
- 3Add water, beer or what ever liquid to thicken, also peppers, salt and green pepper.
- 4Cook to thicken just a little. Lower heat a bit more.
- 5Place the fish slices into the brown sauce.
- 6Cover with some of the sauce.
- 7Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. turning the fish at least once and adding more water if necessary to keep it from drying out.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Fish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.2
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 99.3 mg
- Sodium 189.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 47.9 g