Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Jamaican favorite!
Make and share this Brown Fish Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs red snapper (or dolphin, king, etc, cut into 1 inch slices)
- 2 medium onions or 2 medium onions, cut into thick and thin slices
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 hot pepper, seeds removed, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- fat (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- water or fish stock or vegetable broth or light beer or availible stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Prepare the fish, scaling and gutting and cutting into 1 inch slices. Fry it lightly. and set aside .
- Make a brown sauce by frying onion in butter and adding flour slowly until brown.
- Add water, beer or what ever liquid to thicken, also peppers, salt and green pepper.
- Cook to thicken just a little. Lower heat a bit more.
- Place the fish slices into the brown sauce.
- Cover with some of the sauce.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. turning the fish at least once and adding more water if necessary to keep it from drying out.