Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This moist chocolate-studded cake is from Vesy Best Baking. No one guesses it's made with sweet potatoes, it's a crowd pleaser!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (15 ounce) canunsweetened sweet potatoes, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 -4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger in small bowl. Combine sweet potatoes, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add oil; beat until well blended. Stir in morsels, pecans and water. Stir in flour mixture; mix until blened. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Microwave chips and butter in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on medium-high (70%) for 1 minute; stir. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10 to 15 second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Beat cream cheese and sour cream into morsel mixture until creamy. Add vanilla extract and almond extract. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until mixture reaches spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.