Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Whenever I refer to this jambalaya, I call it brown as opposed to the red Creole jambalaya. Prepare all the ingredients the night before, ready to throw it together. Once cooked it can be frozen for future use.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage or 1⁄2 lb kielbasa, sliced
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced thin (scallions)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups converted rice (uncooked, no substitute)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- Prepare Spice Mix in small container; set aside.
- In large Dutch oven brown cooked chicken, smoked sausage and diced ham; drain grease.
- Add to browned meats the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft, lifting brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Add spice mix and stir.
- To the same pot stir in 4 cups chicken broth, parsley, green onions, Kitchen Bouquet and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Add 2 cups converted rice, stirring once.
- Cover and cook about 20 - 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
This was sooooo good. Had been looking for " brown jambalya " recipe for a long time !!! Thank you so much for posting.
I made this in my rice cooker. First I sauteed the vegetables and meat then threw everything in the rice cooker. It look a little extra chicken broth, but otherwise worked really well. I used ham and shrimp as the meat, but did everything else to the recipe - except I didn't have any green onions. It does smell great!
Wonderful!! This recipe has made my mind up that I really DO NOT like the "boxed" kind!! It will be this recipe from now on. The only thing was that I did not have diced ham. Still EXCELLENT!!