Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
Recipe is from Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Brown Butter, Ginger and Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- unsalted butter (for pan)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, with skins coarsely chopped
- For brown butter:
- Simmer 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned bits form, 6-8 minutes. Pour into a 2-cup measuring cup. If needed, add more butter to measure 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons (added butter will melt).
- For topping:
- Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown butter (reserve remaining butter for cake); stir until moist clumps form. Stir in ginger. Set aside.
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°. Butter pan generously. Whisk all-purpose flour and next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat remaining 1 cup browned butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and thick, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions. Beat in sour cream, milk, and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture just to blend.
- Spoon half of cake batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Scatter 1 cup of topping over. Spoon remaining batter in dollops over; smooth. Add almonds to remaining topping; squeeze to form 1/2" clumps and scatter evenly over batter in pan.
- Bake until a tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan to release cake. Remove pan sides; let cool completely.