Rich-tasting and just right for working in the slender, new asparagus of the season. Adapted from "The Naptime Chef: Fitting Great Food Into Family Life," by Kelsey Banfield.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth (no-salt-added) or 4 cups store-bought chicken broth (no-salt-added)
- 1 lb asparagus, preferably of equal thinness
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1Bring a wide pot of water to a boil over high heat. Heat the broth in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Trim the asparagus by breaking off the tough ends (where they break naturally). Finely chop the onion to yield about 1 cup. Add the asparagus to the water and cook for about 3 minutes, until barely tender. Drain and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces.
- 3Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. It will bubble and turn golden brown, smelling nutty. Keep the butter moving in the pan so its solids don't burn. Add the onion and stir to coat; cook for 4 or 5 minutes until it is softened and on its way to translucent.
- 4Stir in the rice, then carefully pour in the wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Ladle 1/2 cup-increments of the hot broth into the pan, cooking and stirring each time until it is absorbed before adding the next. Use all the broth. The rice should be tender and creamy. Taste and season with salt if needed (keeping in mind that cheese will be added). Remove from the heat.
- 5Stir in the cheese and the remaining tablespoon of butter, until the latter is completely incorporated. Gently stir in the asparagus pieces, then season with pepper to taste.
- 6Divide among wide, shallow bowls. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Butter Asparagus Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.4
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.6 mg
- Sodium 1191.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 17.4 g